Last week we met World Changer, Mary Rezcek. (To read that post click here)
Here is a little morning message from her to brighten your day. Please watch it. https://youtu.be/SIbdCotDWbw
Mary was hoping to collect 800 pairs of socks to give to the homeless in Chicago this winter.
So far, she has received 1370 pairs of socks!
***** Now she is hoping for 2000 by 10/31/15! Only 630 more pairs *****
I love it!
In the video Mary refers to her friend Sparkles. Here is a picture of them. They met the very first night Mary went downtown when she was 5 years old.
It’s not hard for Mary to be a World Changer because she isn’t thinking about facts and numbers. She is remembering real people that she actually talks to. She is thinking about their cold, wet feet. She loves them because she knows them.
Mary and her friends are writing notes to go in each pair of socks. They aren’t just going to drive by and toss them out the window. They are going to hand out the socks and look everyone in the eye. They are going to connect.
If you would like to help Mary get 2000 pairs of socks for the homeless in Chicago by 10/31/15 please email me at familycompassionfocus.com – I will send you an address and instructions. Here is an amazon link for socks Mary and her Mom have picked out. But any thick socks will do.
Mary’s friend, Gayle, brought the first 60 pairs of socks to give out last weekend. She said, “You can see in Brian’s face what a clean, dry pair of socks means to him. And he said ‘Thank you, thank you, thank you!'”
If you are reading this post after 10/31/15 and want to love homeless people in your area, Mary and her mom, Gabi, have these ideas:
- Volunteer at PADS or other shelters (google “homeless shelter” and your town/county name to get started)
- Carry snacks or $5 gift cards with when walking in heavily populated areas.
- Carry socks in your car in your car to share.
- If you have any old purses, put in some tissue, chapstick, hand wipes, feminine hygiene, and perhaps some beauty items. Keep them in your car to share.
- We’ve made these backpack kits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6fkyf9UGAE
- If you’re crafty, we’ve made three of these sleeping pads over the last 2 years. They are highly sought after, and cost nothing but time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQtcpPBJc70
- Here is a link to a Chicago church that makes the mat as a group – join them, or start your own group: http://www.unitedinfaith.org/newlifeforoldbags.html
- If you don’t have anything to give, or are just caught unawares, you can always stop and talk with a homeless person. The vast, overwhelming majority are NOT criminals or dangerous. Ask them how they are doing. Hear their story. If you are able, take them someplace warm for a cup of coffee.
I will keep you posted on Mary’s final count. It’s going to be great!
Lord, thank you for Mary! You are shaping a tender, strong, beautiful, inspiring World Changer in this 7 year old girl. She is inspiring and teaching us. Please soften our hearts to see and hear the people you put in our paths. Thank you for your mercy and grace. Amen.
Do you know a World Changer? We’d love to learn from them! Send me a message in the comments below, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn from other World Changers, you can read about the Seversons, Bergers, Farrells, Evans, Powells, and Greta.
For more thoughts on Homelessness, read It’s Cold and Together We Did It
To learn how the Family Compassion Focus got started, read Our Story.
To get ideas for how to start your own Family Compassion Focus, read Getting Started. (Remember, it’s never too late and there are a thousand ways to do it.)
You are loved.
©Aimee Fritz & Family Compassion Focus, 2015.